- Our home is off-road, off the grid, and in the wilderness (though only 30 minutes from the town of Moab). If you are comfortable driving off-road, driving through creeks (and knowing when they might be dangerous), possibly encountering desert creatures (insects, field mice, sometimes even bears), conserving energy and water, and being 30 minutes away from the Internet, you will love Los Vados. If you are the type of person who prefers smooth roads and cold-blowing air conditioning, you will likely be happier staying in a condo or motel in town. No offense, but the only "unhappy campers" we have ever had (only two in ten years) were clearly folks who needed to be closer to the grid.
- No smoking please. Pets are not allowed. No discharging of firearms on the property.
- Children under the age of ten are not allowed. The house is not child-proofed and is not appropriate for people of any age
who do not know how to swim.
- Occupancy is limited to 4 people sleeping in the house and 2 people sleeping in the tent cabin. Because of limited energy and water and space constraints, additional people are not allowed to spend the night.
- No off-roading (motorized or bicycles) is allowed on the property or in the canyon leading to the property. Los Vados is near 4-wheel and mountain bike trails. Contact us if you will be traveling with a trailer, ATVs or motorcycles.
- Due to the remote location of the house, at the end of a two-mile
dirt ranch road, with creek crossings, a 4-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance
is necessary. This
property is not accessible by large vans or trailers. The road can be rough and branches can scratch your car.
- The house and tent cabin are not wheelchair accessible. They have decks with drop offs and stairs with no handrails.
- The altitude of the property is 5,000 feet, 1,000 feet higher than
- The pool (16' diameter and 4' deep) is open from approximately May 1 to October
- Fire safety is essential. No open flames outside of the two fireplaces and BBQ. No fire ring. The nearest fire station is 30 minutes away and a firetruck would likely not make it to the house.
- The house has no phone or cell phone service. You can rent a satellite phone in Moab if you need a phone at Los Vados. Most cell phones will work at "the pass," 10 minutes by car from the house. Internet access is available 20 minutes away in town.
- The house is off the grid, powered by solar panels, and uses well water. Enjoy your stay, but be
aware of usage of lights, appliances, fans, laundry, etc. You will not be able to use all appliances at once or use the washing machine while you take a shower and run the kitchen water.
- Los Vados is a great place for a tranquil retreat, a romantic vacation, or a small gathering of family or friends. It is not an appropriate place for a large gathering. It is also a great "base camp" for outdoor activities of all sorts. Our property and most of the canyon is open to hiking. Mountain biking and 4-wheeling trails are close by (5 minutes away) and parking for off-road vehicles is available at the entrance of the canyon. No off-roading (including riding mountain bikes off the road) is allowed in the privately-owned areas of the canyon, however, including at Los Vados.
- Please note: A few times every year,
usually in late spring, the creek may be too high to cross. These periods
generally last a few hours and may interrupt a guest's schedule. Usually,
one simply waits for the creek to subside, perhaps returning to town for several hours. Every few years we have a flash flood that washes out the road and the house is inaccessible for several days or longer until the road is repaired. Should an act of nature of this sort or any other kind prevent you from getting to Los Vados
for a portion of or for all of your stay, your nightly rental amount for the nights you are unable to stay at Los Vados will be refunded. (We will not pay for alternate accommodations or airfare or other travel expenses incurred to reach Moab or for any other damages due to weather- or nature-related problems beyond our control.)
- Please read the entire website (including important information on the Rates page about arrival times and the cancellation policy) prior to making your reservation. All conditions, terms. and requirements set forth on this website are deemed house rules and must be complied with by all persons using the property. Making a reservation affirms that you are consenting to such terms.